Friday, February 14, 2014

Double Blind, Chapter Nine: Micro-Bully


Buy the book at Amazon.com

 Nine

I’m picking up Marcus from school. I forget why. An email from Jessie. I skipped out of work early.
            Maybe it’s the bully. She said something about a bully. The parking lot is empty, so I get out and wander into the courtyard. Marcus is perched on a bench, calm as a Buddha, while some little black cub dances around him like a boxer, slapping the top of Marcus’s head as he peels off insults.
            “Big ol’ fagboy, that’s all y’are, jus’ love a big ol’ cock up your asshole. Makes ya drool, gives you a boner jus’ thinkin’ ‘bout that cock. What? Now it’s in your mouth? Mmmm, tastes good! Whatsamatter? Can’t fight back? Lookit ol’ Queen Marcus, gonna move to San Francisco and die of AIDS, little ol’ dick gonna break in two and fall right off. Poor ol’ fagboy.”
            He goes in for another slap but falls short when I grab his wrist and yank it behind his back. I grip his opposite shoulder for leverage and dig a knee into his spine. I could break him, right now.
            “What’s your name, kid?”
            “Ponce.”
            “Like the explorer?”
            “Y-yeah.”
            He’s scared shitless, the little bastard.
            “That’s good,” I say. “Now, number one, the only reason my son hasn’t pounded your little black ass into pudding is that I promised his parole officer I’d keep him on a short leash. The last little boy who taunted him just got out of the hospital, and so far he can say ‘hello,’ ‘cat’ and ‘wa-wa.’
            “Number two: ‘Fagboy?’ That’s the best you can do? Jesus, they were telling fag jokes when I was a kid. Besides, have you noticed who’s runnin’ Hollywood these days? Now. I’m gonna let you go, and I want you outta my sight quick, or I and my pit-bull son will be on your sorry ass like ugly on your mama. Okay?”
            He says nothing.
            “Okay?” I repeat.
            “Y-yeh. Sure.”
            I shove him forward. He stumbles to his knees, then scrambles up and takes off like a shot. He stops at the corner, however, ‘cause he just can’t help himself.
            “Cocksucker!”
            “Oh, very original!” I reply. I turn to Marcus, who looks horrified. “What’s your problem?”
            “You’re making it worse, Dad. Now he’s gonna think I’m a big wuss.”
            “Well maybe you are! I’ve had it with your goddamn pacifism, Mahatma. The next time little Ponce gives you any shit, you are under direct orders to push his punk ass to the ground. They’re not gonna leave you alone until you do something, Marcus. I’m sorry, but that’s the way the world works.”
            I head for the car and hear Marcus plodding behind me. I am a bad father. I am dispensing questionable advice.
            Driving home, I think of Robert Mapplethorpe, that photographer who caused all the fuss in the eighties. One of his shots was a self-portrait, the artist squatting nude, a bullwhip trailing behind him like a tail – the handle stuck up his ass. I first saw it in a gallery in San Francisco. After the initial shock, it made perfect sense. Christians had taken a single physical act – the insertion of an object into a man’s rectum – and labeled it the work of Satan. With his devil’s tail, Mapplethorpe was simply acting out the crime.
            Another showed a dark black man and a pale white man in a nude embrace. Remove the societal subtext, note the sharp focus, and you have an aesthetically intriguing study in contrast: black and white skin in a black and white shot. Sadly, I know few minds agile enough to make that separation. Perhaps F. Scott Fitzgerald. Perhaps Pisarro.
            This morning, I got in early to work and pulled up Horny Housewives. Cantinflas on my wife’s shoulder. A large black cock up her ass.
            This is not all. At lunch, I found myself wandering downtown, a nameless ache in my throat, my limbs insufferably light. I spotted a bright sign in a sushi bar and my brain emptied out – water down a drain. I have felt this before, but so long ago I cannot name it.
            I pull into the driveway. Jessie’s in the side yard, attacking the lemon tree. Her latest domestic obsession. Lemon tarts, lemon meringue pie, lemon poppyseed muffins. I open the door and swing out my legs. She smiles.
            “Hi dear. Would you like some lemonade?”
            “Sure, honey. That sounds great.”
            (Dear? Honey? Whose house is this?)
            “Marcus?” she says. “Would you…?”
            Marcus is gone, up the walk.
            “Is he all right?”
            “Rough day,” I reply.
            She twists her lip. “The bully?”
            “Yep.”
            “Oh dear.”
            “Don’t worry – it’ll be okay.”
            “Poor Marc. He’s got so many feelers, he’s bound to get them bruised.”
            We enter the house. My wife pours me a lemonade. I watch a Disney cartoon with my daughter. The strange feeling, the lightness in my limbs, fades away.


The next day, my greeting is not so warm. Jessie storms down the walk, her hair tangled, teeth pressed together in a hiss.
            “What the hell were you thinking?! You can’t go around assaulting other people’s kids. He’s a twelve-year-old, for Chrissake! Are you trying to get thrown into jail? Are you trying to turn your son into a monster?”
            “Is he okay?”
            “Of course not!”
            “Ah shit. Is he beat up?”
            She looks at me like I’m the biggest idiot in the world.
            “Ponce is in the hospital.”
            I gotta admit, for a second I’m enjoying this. Ponce deserves whatever he gets. But that’s not the way my son sees it. When I get to his room, he’s got a Spiderman website on his computer screen, but he’s not really looking. When I put a hand on his shoulder, he speaks in a low, crackling tone.
            “I did what you said, Dad. I pushed him. But we were right next to this railing…”
            He looks at me with moist eyes that could slay a devil.
            “He wasn’t moving, Dad. I thought he was dead. I thought I killed him.”
            I squat next to his chair and wrap a hand at the back of his neck, riding out his tears, taking my punishment.


Photo by MJV

No comments:

Post a Comment