Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Double Blind, Chapter One: The Blue Eyes Jiggle



Buy the book at Amazon.com

 

Double Blind


Michael J. Vaughn








For Katrina Galway




She had had boyfriends, had made love, but Rodin’s work she knew to be something else, something about power and surrender and weakness and force and then all those things getting mixed up, so that you couldn’t tell which was which. They weren’t actually two figures. They were some kind of storm. Some kind of storm at sea with the clouds and waves and winds tossed about, and was it the sea that made the rain or the rain that made the sea?
            --JCWatson, from Current Wisdom





One


My mother wanted me to be a doctor. But I knew how awful I was with people, so I botched the exam. She expressed her disappointment for years.
            Mom was a cabernet alcoholic, much more elusive than your square-bottom whiskey swillers, your pitcher-a-night barflies. She carried on for years, hidden by her custom wine cellar, her weekends in Napa – and never, ever tired of complaining about her wretched, alimony-fueled existence.
            One day in Calistoga, she jumped the embankment, her brain swollen from all-day tastings, and planted her Jaguar in the crown of a live oak. Watch the picture in stop-motion, drunkie Mom rocketing through the windshield, dangling seat belt erect with inertia, a jag of glass slicing her head clean off.
            I was relieved. Relieved to get on with my life without the constant board review, the endless filibuster, the eternal making up for my father’s desertion (when I couldn’t really blame him). I was also relieved that she hadn’t taken anyone with her. I always thought she would.
            I’m a drunk, too. Half the time that shit touches my lips, I end up behind bars – or married. There’s your free will, your predestiny. The fault lies not in our stars, but our cells.
            It’s 1973. A psychiatrist, Donald Goodwin, rounds up a pool of 67 Danish children – sons of alcoholics, adopted soon after birth by non-alcoholic parents. Didn’t matter. Eighteen percent became alcoholics, compared to five percent of the control group (sons of non-alcoholics, adopted by non-alcoholics). Dancing to the tune of their DNA, they were three to six times more likely to become alcoholics.
            The tune I dance to is science. I love the human body. I love every part of the human body except the larynx, which produces so much more shit than the colon. Abolish the larynx, give me mutes for patients, and Voila! I’m a doctor.
            I haven’t had a drink since the bachelor party. Whenever I drive past a liquor store, I picture 23-year-old Davey, climbing a live oak in his paramedic jumpsuit to fetch my mother’s noggin from the high limbs.


It’s four o’clock Tuesday. I run the last of my gels, give the high sign to Marty Quock (my guardian, my wing-man) and hop on my bike for a ride down Palm Drive. Palms are not a native species here, but they give the campus a regal entranceway, leading through small twin towers to El Camino Real, highway of the Spanish missionaries. (We call it “The El Camino,” which translates as “The The Road.”)
            I track the spooky sidewalk underpass, tunneling under the train station, then reemerge in the townie chaos of Palo Alto. Cars stack up at the light as pedestrians scatter across like pigeons. I wing a right at the bead shop, lock my bike to an S-shaped rack, and cut around to the side door. My secret knock (the opening beat to “My Sharona”) is answered by the sexiest woman on the peninsula.
            Kelly’s got one of those short, mousse-dependent haircuts that spindles out like an old broom, falling from her crown in triangles of black and purple. For her it works, because she’s got the face: long lines, sharp chin, Mediterranean nose with a midway bump, brown cat’s eyes and a loose-lipped smile. She’s the library book I always check out.
            “Hey, Hoppy. In for the usual?”
            “Sure. How about you?”
            Kelly turns around, bends over and flips her skirt. She’s painted her ass like a hooker’s face: blue eyes with overlong lashes, a broad nose straddling her crack, and pouty lipsticked mouth surrounding her bubble-gum labia. She has pre-lubed herself with massage oil, so my mission is clear. I open my fly, give my dick a couple of pulls and ram it home. Then I close the door.
            “Oh!” she groans. “God! I never feel complete without that cock in me. Could you just follow me around the rest of the day?”
            “I think the necklace-makers of Palo Alto would frown on it.”
            “Charge them admission!”
            I slide out till nothing’s inside but the helmet, then thrust back in. The blue eyes jiggle.


I was waiting for a train to San Francisco, taking the kids to a Giants game. Laura tapped her finger against a bulletin board.
            “Daddy! Look! It’s a cat with a tuxedo.”
            Or a picture of a cat, name of Corialanus, on a “Lost” flyer. I spotted the same cat ten feet away, on a “Found” flyer, tore them both down and said, “Look, Laura – two of a kind!”
            She screwed up her face. “Does that beat… a straight?”
            “No. But it will give us a happy pet-owner.”
            “You don’t know what it’s like!” said Kelly. “I’ve got a seven-year-old who’s been mooning over that cat all week.”
            “I could hazard a guess,” I said.
            “Let me buy you dinner.”
            “I have this ‘wife’ thing. And you sound entirely too good-looking.”
            She laughed. “I am. But how can you tell?”
            “I’m a geneticist.”
            “Of course! How ‘bout coffee?”
            I thought about it. “Coffee’s safe. Four o’clock? University Café?”
            “See you there. I’ll be wearing denim.”
            Indeed she was. And a necklace of lapis lazuli. I might have been okay if it weren’t for that necklace – kept drawing my eyes to her cleavage. Milk-white. I’m a sucker for goth girls. But I was not the one who brought up sex.
            “The single-mom thing is hell,” she said, chewing a biscotti. “The men all think I’m looking for Daddy number two, when all I really want is a robust fucking. I think that’s why I’m so attached to the goddamn cat. Hah! I must have walked right by that ‘Found’ poster.”
            A half-hour later, she was perched on the break-room table at her bead shop, legs splayed as I pounded into her. I certainly don’t mind foreplay, but there was something thrilling about a woman who treated you like a human dipstick. Afterwards, I conducted some negotiations.
            “I don’t love my wife. I never have. But she’s the one who’s raising my kids. I have a vested interest in keeping her happy. How about once a week? We get off, we don’t get too attached – you get to keep your prospects open.”
            I reached for my wallet and extracted two hundred-dollar bills.
            “Before your mind goes anywhere near convention, let me say that this a free-will offering, an acknowledgement that some people get the shaft and others get rich wives. But there are attachments. Don’t tell me about your boyfriends, don’t tell your boyfriends about me. Use a condom with your boyfriends. Are we agreed?”
            Kelly smiled and folded up the bills. “You’re a real good fuck, Hopkins. But I will take your money.”


This time is different. She stops me, takes me out, and I finish in her mouth.
            “We’re hungry today?”
            She peers around my dick sort of… shyly (what kind of a trick is that?).
            “I like it, once in a while. You taste pretty good. Nutty-fishy. A touch of almond.”
            “I’m on a tasty-sperm diet,” I say. “What some men won’t do to please their…”
            “Looking for a noun?”
            “Why does ‘lover’ sound so fucking French?”
            “Don’t worry,” she says. “I doubt you’ll ever have to introduce me at a dinner party.”
            I head for the bathroom to clean what’s left of Kelly’s ass-hooker from my privates. When I come out, she goes in, and I take the opportunity to fetch my wallet. Kelly’s been pretty good, but I still like to maintain a certain mythos about the process – as if the money appears by magic. I open my usual drop-spot – a brass box engraved with Hindu figures – and find it occupied by a hunk of yellow glass, cloudy like lemon marmalade, size of a horse-pill.
            “What’s this?” I ask.
            She re-enters in her bathrobe. “Trade bead from Kenya. Made in Venice, fifteenth century. I thought you’d like it.”
            “I do.” I drop it in her pocket. “Keep it here for me.”
            She frowns. “Shithead.”
            I tap my temple. “Smart shithead.” Then I slip on my windbreaker. “Next Tuesday? Lover?”
            She hesitates. She has every right to say no. I wouldn’t blame her. “Yeah. Next Tuesday.”
            “See you then.”
            “Shithead.”
            There’s no time I like better than Tuesday evening, wheeling past the immigrant palms of Stanford. Relieved of my lust.


Photo by Paul Grenside

No comments:

Post a Comment