Saturday, February 15, 2014

Double Blind, Chapter Ten: Nefertiti

Buy the book at Amazon.com

Ten

Stanford has a lake, Lake Lagunita, which translates as “Lake Small Lagoon.” This makes about as much sense as “The El Camino” – particularly because Lake Lagunita is hardly ever a lake. The winter rainfall offers enough water for a few weeks of sailboarding, but the rest of the year it’s dry. It used to be the site for the bonfire before the Big Game against Cal, but then they discovered it was the breeding ground for endangered California tiger salamanders, and decided to give the poor buggers some peace.
            When Pisarro requested a ghost-lake picnic, I didn’t much see the point, but she did have a nice spot picked out: a bench at the northwest corner, in the shade of a live oak. The branches sprawl out in that gnarly, witchy fashion, dropping acorns that land at our feet with leafy smacks.
            We’ve just settled in, performed our usual huggy greeting, when a man comes loping toward us in a suit and tie.
            “Hi! God, long time. How you been?”
            I’m preparing a fake, nameless greeting when the man looks sideways, revealing the telephone hookup in his ear. He proceeds down the trail, yapping away.
            “Pisarro, ten years ago that man would’ve been locked up.”
            She looks at me and laughs. She’s beautiful. She’s back to wearing makeup, a further sign of recovery. The dark lipstick and purple eyeshadow bestow magic on her Mediterranean features. I hope some of this effort is for me. The longings grow by the day – the dry mouth, the trains of thought that scatter like cockroaches – and Dr. Pisarro is a prime suspect.
            “What are you thinking about?” she says.
            She’s looking at me sideways, opening up the white acres beside her irises. This does things to me.
            “Tiger salamanders,” I reply.
            “They’re beautiful. I saw one once when I was hiking.” She smiles. “So tell me about your son the ruffian.”
            “Man! What was I thinking? Our friend Ponce came out okay – just a concussion, though they did have to keep an eye on him. You know.”
            “Yes, I do.”
            “Marcus has a spotless record. Had. So they let him off easy. Two days’ suspension. Eight hours’ volunteer work. I’m surprised he didn’t ask for more.”
            “Lots of guilt?”
            “Oh yeah. You could give that kid a separated shoulder, broken bones, migraine headaches – no problem. But make him visit suffering on someone else…”
            She peers across the lakebed, where cars are buzzing by on the expressway. “I’m imagining what any other kid would say. ‘He was asking for it.’ ‘It was an accident.’ ‘My dad made me do it.’”
            “Not the Mea Culpa Kid. When I’m not picturing him getting eaten alive out there, I am amazed at his compassion.”
            Pisarro raises a toast with her ginger ale. “Marcus, the Peacemaker.” Then she settles her head to the back of the bench and closes her eyes. “God, I really needed to come out here. Work has been so crazy. It’s like they…”
            The rest goes right past me. One of Pisarro’s blouse buttons has popped open. I can see the top of her breast, a pliable tan plumpness lipping out over a lacy black bra. The caustic lightness burns through my limbs and I am reaching across, slipping through the narrow gap of fabric as my hand settles on her nipple.
            Followed by pain. She grips my wrist, digging in with her nails as she pushes it away like a small but dangerous animal. Then she slouches forward, gripping her legs, oddly silent.
            “Shit!”
            It comes out as a short hiss, air brakes on a bus. Pisarro jumps up and walks away. I am left on a bench with two sack lunches. Once again the fuckup.


My judgement is so far off, I’m afraid to go to work. I’m afraid of the damage I could inflict on our study. I stroll carefully to the front lawn, where the bright weather has caused an outbreak of volleyball. I park myself on a bench, settle the two lunches next to me and stare into a bed of pansies until the purple bleeds into a solid square.
            Perhaps I have picked a bad spot. Some of the girls are well endowed. And volleyball is a vertical sport.
            “Excuse me.”
            She catches me by surprise.
            “Could you tell me where Kresge Auditorium is?”
            The following inventory takes half a second: coffee skin (heavy on the cream); wide, plush lips with a sharp cupid’s bow on the upper; eyes like black olives behind thin-framed glasses (got a thing about glasses), and a thick mane of black ringlets, falling past her shoulders like a shawl. Time’s up.
            “Sure,” I reply. “Do you have a piece of paper?”
            She hands me a steno pad, and I draw a map. She sits beside me to watch. She’s wearing a white cotton dress with petticoats – crosses her legs to reveal brown leather boots (got a thing about boots). I hand her the pad.
            “So immaculate!” She’s got an accent that’s hard to locate: Carolina, Bronx. Long vowels.
            “I’m a scientist,” I say. “I like to get things right.”
            “Oh!” She smiles. “Do you work here on campus?”
            “Yes, I do.”
            “I’m interviewing for a job with the lively arts program. Thought I should scope out the performance spaces. Is it nice working here?”
            A tall Japanese man fires a spike at one of the well-endowed girls, driving her backward.
            “Really nice. It used to be weird, being around all these students. But they’re great kids – intensely curious. I think I feed off of that.”
            She lowers her voice. “Is it any problem… if you just got your master’s at Berkeley?”
            “You are speaking to a Golden Bear at this very moment.”
            “Really!” She laughs. “Is it tough, being in enemy territory?”
            “You will find, after a few red-and-white paychecks, that your loyalties tend to wander.”
            She opens her mouth in mock horror. “Never!” Then turns to watch the volleyball match, revealing a golden stud in the side of her nose. I have a thing for this, also. How have all these tremendous parts come together in this one package?
            “My father is Jewish, and my mother is from Kenya.” She answers my look with a grin. “You held out longer than most. Next answer. Nef. N-E-F. Now! If you can guess…”
            “Nefertiti.”
            “My!” she says (this from Carolina). “You just won a cuppa java.”
            “I… did?”
            “That’s what I was going to offer before you so rudely cut me off.”
            “Oh.” I feel like a schoolboy, unsure of my words. “I… Don’t you have to see the auditorium?”
            She holds up two fingers, like a witch casting a spell, and taps them on my shoulder. “Much better to pick the brain of an authentic Stanford scientist.”
            We end up in town, at the University Café. It occurs to me that this is where I first met Kelly. I’m hoping there’s something in the coffee here, because I desperately want to fuck this woman. It’s crowded, so she tells me to save a table while she orders our drinks. She walks away with that fashion-model twist, one foot directly before the other. The cotton dress sways, as do the generous hips.
            Perhaps this is the key to my unexplained longings. Typical of a scientist, I have lost myself in overwrought hypotheses, and overlooked the obvious. After two years of steady, illicit sex with Kelly, I have gone two months without. I am a randy little salamander, and my needs are not being met. Nef returns with cappuccinos; hers has a sprinkling of chocolate.
            When we leave, a half-hour later, she spots the marquee of the Stanford Theater.
            “The Thin Man! Oh my God! Myrna Loy is my goddess.”
            “So let’s go,” I say.
            “Don’t you have to go back to work?”
            “I have no idea.” I also have no idea if I’m supposed to pick up a child somewhere, be home for dinner, drop my wife’s car at the garage. This is Tuesday afternoon, spun gold, and I desperately want to collect.
            Nef takes my hand and leads me into the theater. When the movie starts, she leans her head against my shoulder; the black ringlets tickle my jawline. When William Powell takes Myrna in a clinch, Nef turns to kiss me on the cheek. As the credits roll, she whispers an invitation. I am aloft in a blur of yes.


I remember very little. I am flat on a bed, naked, morning light silking in through the blinds. I hear the rivery whoosh of the freeway, am awake but exhausted, consumed by an image: Nefertiti, mounted on my cock like a trophy, using her hips to perform feats of kinetic geometry. She still has her glasses on.
            I roll to the edge of the bed and rub my eyes. I’m awfully thirsty. I stumble to the sink, my feet like uncooperative frogs, and unwrap one of those plastic motel cups. When I reach for the tap, I find writing on the mirror, pink lipstick, big looping letters.

            Hi Hopkins. Thanks for a great night! By the way, I’m 16.
                                                                        --Nef


Photo by MJV

No comments:

Post a Comment